Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Another adventure awaits

     After a few years away from boating due to a growing family, we are back in the boating world.  We sold the Marinette to a couple about 80 miles down river in April of 2016.  In a spurt of curiosity, on a trip to visit family in Cincinnati, I took a hot tip from a friend about a 50' Pluckebaum for sale and went to investigate while there in May of 2016.  What I found was a great houseboat that is all single level that had a recent paint job and was re-powered with 454's in the late 80's.  The interior was in need of a full rehab, but the bones and running gear were in great shape.  After visiting with the owner, I realized that I had spoken with him over 2 years prior about his boat when we were on the hunt for the Marinette.
     We loved the boat, but being we just sold the Marinette to take a pause on boating we just weren't ready to purchase the boat at that time.  This past summer, I had made the decision that we were away from boating for far too long and I was determined to be back on the water in 2019.  On a trip to look at a Kingscraft houseboat in Tennessee, I was driving back very disappointed.  The pictures looked great, but the boat in person left much to be desired.  There was a lot of work that was required of the boat and I just didn't have that "gotta have it" feeling in my gut.  On the ride back and speaking with a friend, he brought up the Pluckebaum in Cincinnati that I had spoken of many times for the last 3 years.  I decided to make a call to the owner and see if it was still available.  After waiting a few months for the weather to improve, I was able to purchase the houseboat that I compared every boat to over the last 3 years.


     Some thought it would never happen.  A few times I questioned if it would every happen, but it finally has.  I spent an entire day cleaning out the bilge and engine compartment of items that were past their useful life.  I will be venturing to the boat this upcoming weekend to get the engines running and prepared for the long trip home.  Before the trip home, we will be having the boat hauled out and having some work completed.


  1. Thru hulls enlarged.
    1. We will be installing a Geo Thermal heat pump on the boat and removing the roof top Air Conditioners.  With this upgrade, we will require a larger generator as well as an intake for the heat pump.  The current generator has only a 1/2" intake and there is a 1/2" intake line for our toilet.  We will replace the toilet with the Fresh Water model, and have that intake enlarged for re-purposed for the heat pump.
  2. Bottom Paint
    1. The boat has not had a fresh bottom paint job in easily 5 years.  We will have this completed during the haul out to freshen it up.
  3. Windows
    1. The sliding windows were replaced at some point with solid pane of glass all around the boat.  The sealant used has shrunk and started to let water into the boat.  This has ruined 90% of the paneling which will be replaced in the future.  I plan on replacing the windows with Motion Windows.  They are dual pane and slide open.
  4. Shaft Log assembly,
    1. The current packing nut is a plastic piece and the shaft log hose is showing its age.  I will be looking at swapping this out with a drip-less system or just replacing the shaft log assembly itself and stick with a traditional packing.
  5. Bilge Pumps
    1. Currently the boat has 2 bilge pumps, sort of.  The bilge pump in the engine compartment is only a manual pump, but it also doesn't work.  There is a 120V pump in the mid bilge of the boat for pump out, but it also only works when plugged in.  I will be adding at least 2 automatic bilge pumps to the boat.
  6. Fuel/Water separators
    1. Currently there are 3 fuel filters on the boat, however they are just the traditional cartridge based filters.  Those will be replaced with a fuel/water separator on each line as we believe our issues on the trip home will be fuel related.
  7. HEI Distributors
    1. Currently both engines are using Points for their distributors.  They are also using two different brand of distributors as well.  We will be replacing these with HEI to improve the overall performance of the engines as well as increasing reliability.
  8. Misc
    1. Oil changes, new thermostats, new impellers, fuel treatment, rudder greasing, interior and exterior cleaning, furniture removal.
The first goal is to get the boat mechanically sound for the trip.  The 2nd goal is to get it up river to Washington Marine for a haul out to perform their work.  The 3rd and final goal is to get the boat home in late June or July.  Any work I get completed after that will be a bonus for this year.  I will provide a detailed work list like I have done for the previous boats of what needs completed.  


Let the boating season begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment